Friday, February 24, 2012

A Closer Look At Three Of My Favorite Assassin Movies

 
    I was originally going to make this really long and drawn out, having a huge list of ten of my favorite assassin movies, but then I realized two things. One: There's not even really that great an amount of movies that are actually about the assassin, and Two: There's only three that I'm thinking of right now that are quality and even show a varying difference between realistic and silver screen fantasy. Also, I found a few outstanding pictures that I want to show, as well. I'll beat myself over the head with a loaf of bread if I realize later I forgot something or left out a great film, granted I'm on very little sleep, preoccupied with a lot of things, and haven't ate in, like, 24 hours. But it all honesty it's just me giving props to three films I love. So, I'm going to make this quick.

    First movie I feel that doesn't get enough credit and is forgotten on a lot of people, is Bridget Fonda's "Point Of No Return". Released in 1993, it was originally titled "The Assassin" (Jeez, how original. Might as well make a movie about a janitor and call it "Janitor") and was basically a re-make of the classic "La Femme Nikita", which if memory serves, was an early television show and movie. They're both similar, even visually, with the story circulating about a female whose life becomes changed when she's forced into mercenary work. I chose the Bridget Fonda version because I use to watch it repeatedly, so often, and I feel like a lot of the scenes are tremendous in portraying the aspects of the lifestyle that would require being shown. There's a tad bit of cheesiness, but not as much as a ton of others I could name. On a side note, where the hell has Bridget Fonda gone by the way? She was great, and now nothing, or am I trippin'? Anyways, you should see this if you haven't or if you are even remotely interested. Great flick.



  Moving on, this next one is on my favorite movies of all time list, I just don't know exactly where I'd put it. With the starring role played perfectly by the great John Cusack, "Grosse Pointe Blank" is a fairly different vision of the would be life of an assassin. Released in 1997, it was easily distinguishable with a great cast and even better screenplay. It's almost a dark comedy, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining or accurate, in my opinion. Such great acting here, and although funny, there's a lot of subjects most assassin flicks haven't touched on, such as psychiatrist visits, out of touch family members, and the growing tiresome of the mercenary trade. The greatest theme imbedded in this movie I would say is that the assassin factor is constantly downplayed and accepted, like it's just an average job. I could watch this repeatedly, and usually don't allow myself to go for too long without seeing it periodically. Not to mention the soundtrack stands alone, and everything is just so suave and slick about it it almost demands repeated viewings. If you haven't watched this gem, I suggest you take the time as soon as possible and enjoy the bullets and banter. A true classic.



  Lastly, I have to give credit to what should not be a surprise to anyone in being the greatest assassin movie of all time in my opinion, Leon: The Professional. A star-studded cast including Jean Reno as the title role, Danny Aiello, Gary Oldman, and a rarely seen newer young actress in Natalie Portman. I'm just now realizing that all three of these films came out in the 90's, with this one having been released in 1994. I didn't mean for that to happen and it's slightly odd. Were the 90's the best period for believable assassin flicks? Most likely I don't need to say much at all about this film. It is simply outstanding and to say it's a cult classic is kind of an understatement. Gary Oldman kills in this, both figuratively and literally, and is so hypnotizing he almost steals the show. I need not describe the beauty in the attention to detail with Leon's tactics, rules, and the surrounding environment because it's practically air-apparent. Whether it's the final showdown with the feds closing in on the building, or the teaching of Matilda, every scene is done with such impressive finesse it's mesmerizing. If you don't love this film, I haven't the slightest idea what to tell you. Despite the main plot being Matilda, I'd say this movie still perfectly defines the assassin's creed and lifestyle, and brings you into the world all so easily. A go to for anyone interested in what an assassin movie should be like.


   On a side note, I have a verse in one of my songs with my group, CutThroat Cadavers, called "Combat Language", where I reference all three of these films. A little secret that not too many people know about, or would ever realize.

  I don't know really what compelled me to write this blog, it's kind of odd to me. But it was interesting doing it, and I hope it's agreeable or in the very least, makes you want to watch these films. I think I'll just like looking back and knowing I did it, for whatever idiotic reason. I'm always extremely greatful for anyone reading my stuff. Thanks and much respect to you! Until next time, friends.

  "This business is bliss, literally hit or miss. My only occupation's obligation: No women, no kids. At close range, my Grosse Pointe Blank destroys blame. Avid stick to the script, and always avoid names. My armament with cartridges in artisan, that's part of it. My soul's as cold as the arctic mist when the target's hit." - Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment